subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

History

 Watch a Video History of IACC: 1930-2004 (Select one: Dialup - Broadband)

      Immanuel Armenian Congregational Church was founded in 1930 by a group of visionaries who saw the need to establish a place of worship for newly immigrated Armenians. The committee who established the church included Tateos Diradoorian, John Eomurian, Avedis Jamgochian, Vahan Khacherian, Levon Knadjian, and Kegham Soukesian. The name Immanuel Armenian Congregational Church was suggested by Rev. Aram Yeretzian, Immanuel’s first minister. From the late 1920s to 1933, Immanuel met at the Seventh Day Adventist Church located at 38th Street near Vermont Avenue. The congregation needed a permanent place of worship, and, in 1933, a church building on Washington Boulevard was purchased.
      From 1930-1938, Rev. Yeretzian served the church with wisdom and enthusiasm. Rev. Yeretzian passed away in September 1938, leaving a great void within the congregation. His picture hangs in the church narthex to this day.
      From 1939-1952, Rev. Dr. Samuel Halajian served as the pastor of IACC. His ministry, which overlapped the years of WWII, stressed the need to apply Christian principles to our world problems.
      Rev. Ardavazd Minassian, previously the youth leader, served as pastor from 1952-1959. During those years, the social hall was expanded, the kitchen facilities were remodeled, and a Chapel, lounge room, and Sunday School classrooms were added.
      Rev. Siragan G. Agbabian served Immanuel as interim pastor for six months from January until June 1960. Rev. Agbabian came to be known as the “Father of our Church.”
      Rev. Mardiros Marganian was then invited to serve the church for a period of two years. Rev. Marganian’s two year term extended to 15 years—the longest in the history of the church. Rev. Melvin Moomjian became assistant pastor and delivered the English language sermons. In the summer of 1975, Rev. Marganian retired from active ministry. The congregation still remembers fondly the services of Rev. and Mrs. Marganian.
      In 1976, after a thorough search for leadership, the congregation invited Rev. Jirair Sogomian to serve Immanuel. Rev. Sogomian had just arrived from Beirut, Lebanon where he had served as the Chaplain of Haigazian College. Under his youthful and enthusiastic leadership, the relocation of the church was carried out. The church facility on Washington Boulevard was sold. The congregation voted to purchase the Downey Congregational Church as its permanent home of worship and settled into the new location in February 1979. Soon after, Rev. Sogomian resigned to serve a congregation in Simi Valley.
      Rev. Edward Tovmassian, then associate pastor of the United Armenian Congregational Church, was invited to continue his ministry at Immanuel. Beginning in 1979, Rev. Tovmassian served Immanuel for seven years. At that time it became apparent that the church sanctuary and kitchen were inadequate and the church council voted for expansion. Luther Eskijian designed and donated the plans and Sam Arabian volunteered to act as contractor. Members of the congregation financially supported the expansion, supplemented by a substantial donation from the George Ignatius Foundation.
      Rev. Tovmassian retired in January 1986 but volunteered to carry on until a replacement could be found. The church family and friends were saddened by his sudden and untimely death in April 1986.
      In early 1987, Rev. Dr. Herald Hassesian was invited as interim senior pastor and Rev. Daniel Albarian as interim associate pastor. They served the congregation for three years. In 1991, Reverends Hassesian and Albarian were called to serve other congregations. For the next three years the pulpit remained vacant and various visiting ministers served our congregation, including Rev. Dr. Peter Doghramji.
      In 1994, Rev. Joseph Matossian accepted the call to serve Immanuel. He was installed as the new pastor on June 12, 1994. Rev. Matossian served the congregation with distinction for ten years before accepting the position of Minister to the Armenian Evangelical Union of North America.
      Following the vacancy of the pulpit in 2004, Rev. Jirair Sogomian returned to IACC to serve in an interim capacity. The congregation is grateful to Rev. Sogomian for assuming Immanuel's pastoral responsibilities in this transitional period.
      In January 2011, following an arduous but fruitful immigration process, Rev. Vatche Ekmekjian, formerly the pastor of the Armenian Evangelical Martyrs' Church in Aleppo, Syria, began serving as pastor of IACC. The installation service for Rev. Ekmekjian was held on June 12, 2011.

 
©2007-2011 Immanuel Armenian Congregational Church
Comments or questions about this website? Email webmaster@immanuelacc.org